Ex-Police Cadets
Association of NSW

What happened to... Click on name to see details
Cadet ID: 606
Association ID: 404
Alan was born in 1930 and left school in 1945, the year World War 2 ended.  He enjoyed making Maroubra Beach his home, living life as a beach bum, mainly because jobs for school leavers without higher educational standards were hard to come by, with so many former servicemen being de-mobbed and seeking employment.  Unfortunately for Alan, his father, who was a Police Sergeant at that time, got hold of him by the ear and marched him down to the Police Depot at Redfern, to undergo the exams that allowed entry into the Police Cadet System on his 16th Birthday. So much for his carefree days!


He was inducted to perform Cadet duties at the M.O.Section, Regent Street, Phillip Street and Darlinghurst Stations, the Vice Squad and Daceyville Station while attending the Police Depot each morning for law lectures, shorthand and gym classes, as well as attending a Tech course in the city once a week.


After being sworn in as a Probationary Constable during May 1949, he performed duties at both Redfern and Daceyville Stations on general duties then the Public Safety Bureau, only to be transferred to Gosford on motor cycle duties.  Then followed a stint on general duties at Newcastle, Adamstown and Randwick Stations, before being transferred to the Central Court Staff for training to be a Police Prosecutor on the 15th September 1954.


Finally Alan realised that ambition on the 22nd December 1961 when he was made an Acting Sergeant.  In that capacity, he prosecuted in most suburban and country area circuit courts, had five years assisting the Parramatta Coroner in the Parramatta Coroner's Circuit Courts, followed by several years attached to Central Court in Liverpool Street, Sydney.  In 1970, he was transferred to be the Officer in Charge of the Ryde Police Station.  Because he lived in the Central Coast area at Gosford, was later transferred to be the OIC of the Woy Woy Police Station.


Alan concluded his police service when he was discharged on medical grounds on the 25th February 1983.


In retirement, he found employment as the Manager of a Security Retail Shop at Gosford and later took out a Private Inquiry Agent's licence to enable him and his wife to open a business in the Central Coast area, which turned out to be most successful, but proved very costly with the Taxation Office when the earnings of the security business was combined with the superannuation benefits he was receiving.  In 1989, they decided it was time to call it a day  by moving to Goonellabah (just outside of Lismore) on the north coast of NSW for six years, where they resided most comfortably.


However, it soon became apparent that living there quickly became boring and was not enhancing the retirement lifestyle they wished to achieve.  They relocated to the Gold Coast of Queensland, taking up residence in an 'Over 50's Village', where they became very active in the social club activities allowing them to be proactive by travelling the world and around Australia which they are still enjoying to the nth degree.